Borisovskije Novosti Is an Outsider Again
13:43, — society
Five months ago Belposhta included the regional non-state newspaper Borisovskije Novosti into its catalogues, but now they call it a day.
On October 16 the editor-in-chief of the newspaper Anatol Bukas was informed that the newspaper had missed the deadline to apply for services for the next six months. The letter signed by the general director’s deputy of Belposhta says that the newspaper had to apply before August 30, and all regional outlets had been informed about it with special letters. Meantime, Anatol Bukas says that they did not receive any reminders about the deadline, and filed the application in September. “I talked to people in charge of compiling the catalogues, and they assured me that it was not late,” he underlined. The editor is sure that this is the result of intentional activities of the local authorities. “Any way, we faced with artificial obstacles in distribution all the time. There is no use appealing against it because in our country only whims of the officials are satisfied,” he said.
We remind that the newspaper was included into the subscription catalogue of Belposhta in June after eight years’ interruption. However, even for these five months the editorial office suspected the company of deliberately poor service.
Borisovskije Novosti is a sociopolitical weekly with the circulation of 6000 copies; to compare in 19998 – 1999 it was 12000 copies. Before the previous presidential election in 2006 it was excluded from the subscription catalogue of the state monopolist Belposhta, together with 15 other independent mass newspapers. Another state monopolist Belsayuzdruk refused services to 19 outlets. For the time being, 10 sociopolitical newspapers face with the same problem.