Sole traders prepare national strike
15:02, — Society
Sole traders are ready to go on strike on July 1.
Aliaksandr Makayeu, one of the leaders of the Belarusian small business movement, said it in an interview with charter97.org.
– The ruler signed the decree on Friday that forbids market traders to sell goods without certificates and supporting documents from July 1. What does it mean for the Belarusian small and medium-sized business? What consequences can be expected?
– It will lead to a collapse in the work of markets. But it's only the top of the iceberg. It will mean the growth of food prices and a trade crisis.
– But sole traders received back the right to employ people. Can this “carrot” make the “stick” of certificates and supporting documents less unpleasant?
– I don't understand why they forbade hiring people, hindered the development of small business, strengthening, changing business models, providing new jobs and paying taxes. They throw it like a bone to a dog just to make us shut up.
– How will sole traders react to this? Do they have any coordinated action plan?
– Sole traders will protest and go on strike. They are consolidating now. Warning strikes will be held in regional centres. In July, after the decree comes into force, we'll held the national strike asking to cancel the decree. Protesting is the one of the means that unites sole traders. In this case, not leaders, but market traders influence the leaders. They have nothing to lose. It's clear that the norms adopted by the authorities may be postponed or they will be half-measures to reduce the risk of strikes, as it was last year. Anyway, Lukashenka expects protests by signing the decree.
Write your comment (124)